and a warm welcome to this year’s Valentine’s Special! No, just kidding – even though the “day of love” is indeed a good occasion in this case, but the recipe that I want to share with you today, is by no means limited to a single day. Just like (extraordinary) expressions of love they are amazing all year round, because let’s be honest: Who doesn’t love churros?
For me, those crispy fried strands of dough are inseparably linked to hot summer days in Spain, full of laughter, loud music and tons of delicious food. But not while only on holiday, churros make a sweet treat! I’ll show you how can easily recreate them at home and how to shape them into sweet little hearts.
- 50 g butter
- 170 ml water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 70 g flour
- 2 eggs
- about 1 liter of oil for frying
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat butter, water and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil, then add the flour (all at once) and stir with a wooden spoon until a lump forms on the base of the pot.
- Remove from the heat, then stir in the eggs one by one and mix until a smooth, sticky batter forms.
- Now transfer the batter into a piping bag with a small star tip and pipe your churro hearts onto a piece of parchment paper. Tip: It's the easiest if you start with the bow of the heart and then work your way back to the start and join the strands there.
- Then put the hearts in the freezer for 1-2 hours. In the meantime, combine sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a small, high pot at medium temperature. Now add the frozen churro hearts to the hot fat and bake from both sides until golden brown for 3-4 minutes. Drain the excess oil on a kitchen towel, then dip the hearts into in the sugar mixture and serve them still slightly warm with chocolate sauce.
Have you planned a little something for your partner this Valentine’s Day? Fun Fact: we celebrate our Valentine’s Day due to quite complicated schedules a few days late on Saturday. But our gifts will be the most beautiful ‘thing’, you can give each other: quality time spent together! Our plan is to cook a delicious, genuine Indian curry together – I’m really looking forward to it! ♥
Stay sweet & HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!